Where do your animals come from?

Georgetown City and Georgetown County Animal Control and also owner turn-ins if we have space available.

How do you decide who is adoptable?

Our goal is to place 100 percent of the pets received at our shelter. Pets placed up for adoption need to be of sound temperament and good health. Unfortunately, pets with a history of severe aggression are not suitable for our adoption program.

How long do you keep animals?

Pets stay up for adoption as long as they remain physically and emotionally healthy. For some animals this can mean living at the shelter for six months or more until the right home is available.

Do you ever get purebred dogs or cats?

We estimate that about 25 percent of the animals brought to the shelter are purebreds. Many times, these dogs are transferred from SFAC to rescue groups who specialize in adoption of a particular breed. That way SFAC has more room for mix breeds and the purebred gets the attention it needs as well.

Do you require spaying or neutering of adopted pets?

We are committed to ending pet overpopulation and consider spaying and neutering the number one solution to this tragic problem. Many of our pets are already spayed or neutered before coming to SFAC. Those who have not been are spayed/neutered while they are at the shelter. Barring an illness that would prevent such operation prior to adoption, 100 percent of the animals adopted are already surgically altered.

Is SFAC a 'no kill' facility?

We are a Limited Access facility. Animals are euthanized only due to aggression or suffering.

What kind of food do you feed the dogs and cats at the shelter?

We are participants in the Science Diet Shelter program. They provide our regular foods and we pay for shipping and any special foods that our animals need.

Does SFAC test cats for feline leukemia?

Yes, all of our cats are tested for FELV and FIV.


Does SFAC receive money from my taxes and how is SFAC different from the county animal control agency?

We have a negotiated contract with the City for handling of specific limited items as well as the County. Neither of these contracts include pick up of stray animals.

What is the difference between the Saint Frances Animal Center and other animal welfare organizations that solicit funds from me through the mail (such as Humane Society of the United States, PETA, American Humane, ASPCA, Friends for Animals, etc.)?

While all these organizations work to help all kinds of animals, what sets SFAC apart from the national organizations is that it operates a local shelter that receives and houses animals with a trackable adoption program. SFAC works directly with members of this local community to find homes for homeless pets, help increase the value of companion animals, stop abuse and neglect, and solve training and behavior difficulties.

If I make a gift to a national organization, does SFAC receive a portion of my donation?

No, currently there are no national organizations that financially support local shelters.

How can I help?

Let us count the ways – SFAC greatly appreciates donations of cash, time, and items. The Saint Frances Animal Center is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization and your donation is tax-deductible as allowed by law. Your financial support helps us maintain and even expand the programs and services we offer to the community. There is a world of opportunities offered to individuals who want to volunteer at SFAC. Finally, to reduce expenses, the public is encouraged to donate needed items directly to the shelter. This not only reduces SFAC’s costs but you may be able to write off the donation on your taxes.


Can SFAC help if I can't afford to spay my animal?

Spaying and neutering saves lives and SFAC offers affordable fees for spay/neuter surgery.

Can you recommend a veterinarian for me to see?

We have a veterinarian on staff who provides basic medical services to the public through our low cost clinic.  We also have a list of local vets that we offer to clients.

How do I report animal neglect or cruelty?

It needs to be reported to the City or County Animal Control for further investigation. They seek our support as needed.

Whom do I call when I see a loose dog, roaming cat, or dead animal in my yard/road/neighborhood?

Loose dog warrants a call to City or Animal Control (843) 545-4300, (843) 527-6763. Cats are free roaming animals, however we have a Trap, Neuter and Release program to help control feral cat colonies.

I found an animal in my neighborhood. What should I do?

If you can keep the animal until his/her owners are located, here are some suggestions: Put up “found” posters around the area. Place a “found” advertisement in the newspaper. Register the pet on Petfinder’s national listing. If you are unable to keep the animal, you should take him/her to your local animal control agency.

Help! I've lost my pet. What do I do?

First remain calm. Call SFAC put in a lost report and call local vet offices to let them know and put out flyers in your neighboorhood. .